About Me

My photo
I love my life. I'm contented enough to be relaxed and discontented enough to quest. I want to see it all, smell it all and touch it all and through writing I can. I'm especially grateful for the gospel in my life. I don't need to search anymore. I can get on with perfecting talents and abilities.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

House/Cat Sitting Day Seven Sept 22nd

I went to the temple today. It is so peaceful there and the people so nice. It's wonderful to get away from the world for a while.

In case some of my readers are curious as to what the temple is all about, let me tell you. It's a sacred house of worship where members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints go to make sacred covenants and perform sacred ordinances for ourselves and our kindred dead that are necessary for our salvation. These covenants and ordinances help us live our lives more righteously and prepare us to live with our Heavenly Father again one day.

Some of you might be asking, 'How can you do things for the dead?" We stand as proxy for them.

There are many of Father's children who pass through this life without ever hearing the gospel and having the opportunity to accept it and live by it's principles. When they die, they are taken to the Spirit world where they are taught the gospel and given a chance to accept it. They don't have their body back yet so in order to receive any of the ordinances the Savior - they need someone to act as proxy for them and receive these ordinances. That's where we come in. Once we have attended the temple for ourselves, we go back often and perform these ordinances for them.

Each time I come away from the temple, I feel refreshed and centered - ready to live even better than I did before. I want to treat my family better, to show them love and compassion - to help them in any way I can. I come away with a greater sense of love for my brothers and sisters and my friends.

Later that night I went for a walk that the sisters in the ward I attend here go on every Tuesday night. I met a lady, Chris, there and her 'date' joined us , too. We had a blast! Nigel is so funny and the way he is courting Chris is so cute. They were kind enough not to make me feel like a third wheel and we really enjoyed the evening. I'll tell you more about where we walked in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment