About Me

My photo
I love my life. I'm contented enough to be relaxed and discontented enough to quest. I want to see it all, smell it all and touch it all and through writing I can. I'm especially grateful for the gospel in my life. I don't need to search anymore. I can get on with perfecting talents and abilities.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

They're Off!

The bandages came off on the 5th day - but not the one covering my incision. I decided to leave that one one for a couple more days. It is off now and ... well ... it's scary.

The incision is nice and straight and purple and shiny. It's purple because that's the color of the marker the doctor used to mark his cutting line. It's shiny because he coated the incision with clear glue. All my stitches are internal.

So - this is how it happened.

At 10:10AM, Dec 3rd, I laid down on the padded table in a small operating room in the Minor Surgery department of the Foothills hospital and extended my left arm onto a small support. The doctor cleaned my hand and had me touch my thumb to my little finger to mark the line he would cut.

Next he cleaned my forearm front and back as well as the back of my hand before draping my arm with a green cloth. The nurse clamped a cuff on my upper arm a few inches away from my elbow.

The doctor had me raise my forearm so it stood straight up and then he wound a pretty blue shiny piece of rubbery material around my fingers asking me to cross my thumb over my palm when he'd reached the crook of my thumb. He continued wrapping until he got down to the cuff explaining that he needed to drain the blood from my hand so he would be able to see the median nerve clearly. The nurse pressurized the cuff , off came the blue rubber material and I laid my arm down once more.

I'm glad I wasn't told of the next part of the procedure or I wouldn't have been nearly as relaxed as I was - which wasn't relaxed very much as you can well imagine.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment